Sunday, 6 January 2013

Favourite Food Lit

I love food. I love eating it, I love thinking about it, I love making it, and I love reading about it. I went to a conference a little while back and we had to do one of those ice breakers to get to know one another and the question had to do with what do you think about during a regular day. I told my partner how I loved to think about what I was going to cook when I got home from work, what groceries I needed, what new recipes to try ect. ect. She looked at me like I was a tad bit off. She wrote down "She likes food. A lot."

So yeah, I love food ok?!

Lately I've been reading a lot of food lit type books. Here are a few of my favourites.

Food Lit

1. Julie & Julia by Julie Powell This one is rather popular. It's all about a girl named Julie who cooks her way through the entire Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Including aspics. Shudder. A brave woman indeed. I pined for (and received !) the complete MTAOFC after reading it. I have yet to really make anything from it though, but I do read it quite often.

2. Paris, My Sweet by Amy Thomas This one is about a girl named Amy who lives in Paris for a time and "researches" all of the different desserts Paris has to offer (read: she pretty much eats a lot of pastries and chocolate). I actually took notes while reading this one as I'm visiting Paris in May and am planning on doing some research of my own.

3. The Art of Eating In by Cathy Erway This book is about a girl named Cathy who tries not to eat out for a whole year and cook all of her own meals. She also gets into some hardcore things like picking her own salad greens from Central Park (!) and going dumpster diving at fancy food stores that throw out perfectly edible food (!). This is where I first heard of No Knead Bread too.

4. 52 Loaves by William Alexander This book is about a man named William who tries to perfect a simple loaf of bread and his quest to do so. This was probably my favourite out of all of them. He goes through a lot for his mission, from planting, harvesting and grinding his own wheat, to teaching a group of french monks how to bake bread in their monastery. He also shares fun fact and histories of bread in a hilarious manner. I definitely never looked at bread the same way after reading this.

Have you ever read a food lit-type book? I would love to hear any suggestions!

3 comments:

  1. Have you read "The Undomestic Goddess?"It's hysterical - light reading but lots of fun. Have you read the original "Ärt of Eating?" Serious food writing of the best sort.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have read the undomesticated goddess (i really liked it!) and will definitely check out Art of Eating. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler was really good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...