Monday, 7 January 2013

Homemade Masala Chai

IMG_1436A few years ago my mother-in-law gave me a recipe for homemade chai along with all of the spices that go in it. I didn't make it for the longest time (it seemed too complicated when I could go to Starbucks and get it) but once I did get around to it I was HOOKED. And realized it tastes nothing like Starbucks (its better!). Lately I've been making a batch with dinner and then having it for dessert.

Homemade Masala Chai adapted from Robin's recipe

  • 1 cup milk

  • 1 cup water

  • 2 whole cardamom pods

  • 5cm cinnamon stick (or ground cinnamon)

  • 3 whole cloves

  • 1 star anise

  • 1 thinnish slice of fresh ginger

  • 2 black peppercorns

  • 2 tsp of black tea (or just a tea bag if that's all you've got around)

  • honey/sugar (optional if you want it a bit sweet)

  • tea filters (optional)

  • pestle and mortor/ magic bullet


IMG_1424So it's pretty simple. Put all of the dry spices (not the ginger or black tea) into your pestle and mortor/magic bullet and crush it up as much as possible. Feel free to add or reduce any of the spices you want! For instance, I like to add a bit more cinnamon and an empty vanilla pod if I have one.

Once it's all crushed up you can either put it into a loose leaf tea bag (like I do, it's easier) or dump it into a pot with the water, ginger, milk and tea. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and let it simmer. The longer you steep it, the stronger it will be. I like mine pretty strong so I simmer it for up to a half hour. (It changes a really nice colour too)

Then if you put everything into tea filters, you can just pluck them out. Or, if you dumped everything  into the pot, you simply strain it. Sweeten it a bit with some honey or sugar, garnish that baby with a cinnamon stick and BAM you have homemade masala chai!

IMG_1433Nowadays I'll make a big batch and then just put it in my fridge for the week. It heats up pretty easily on the stove again (or in the microwave if you have one).This tastes really good cold on ice in the summer too.

Enjoy!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...