Sunday, 31 March 2013

Finding Fabric for Cheap

So you may have noticed, I'm getting more and more into sewing lately. Which is AWESOME! I feel so creative and oddly domestic when I'm sewing, I think it's a great hobby to have. The downside is, fabric can cost a lot of money. Ugh. Especially when you're on a budget and probably don't want to spend your entire months worth of personal spending money on it.

I helped my friend Katherine out at a craft show a few weeks back and talked to one of the vendors there. She makes really neat dresses and bags all out of "found" material. I asked her what that meant and she says she looks through thrift stores and vintage shops for fabric. Usually she finds interesting patterned sheets, curtains, large sweaters etc that she can use for fabric. What a cool idea right?

Since I've talked with her, I've been keeping my eyes open at thrift stores for different garments or linens that I can use for sewing projects. Here are a few of the unconventional supplies I've found.

IMG_1792

I've found this to be a cheaper and more creative way to supplement my current sewing addiction, especially when on a tight budget. So next time you go thrifting, have a look at the patterns and material you see, rather than what the garment actually is. (That's how I scored those men's boxers hahaha, the print was too good to pass up!) You'd be surprised what you can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...