This past week we've been cooking with curry. Which although tastes amazing, makes everything smell like it. EVERYTHING. I got a whiff of my hair when I was at the library after dinner and it smelled so strongly of curry. And as soon as you walk into our apartment building it's all you smell. Yup, we're those people. But it's totally worth it because curry is so so tasty. This soup is really filling and not to mention extremely healthy (and vegan!).
Curried Lentil Soup with Quinoa adapted from here
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup carrot (chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala + 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup mixed lentils
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked)
- salt & pepper
- cilantro (chopped)
- Greek style yogurt
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions, carrots and celery and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and curry powder and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the lentils, stock, chickpeas, tomatoes and hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and warm them up.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with a garnish of cilantro and a dollop of Greek style yogurt.
This tastes even better the next day, enjoy!