Sunday, 14 July 2013

Camping Food Series: Campfire Baked Pasta

IMG_1860Dave and I just got back from camping at Awenda for the week. It was lovely. The highlight for me though was definitely the food. Surprising? Perhaps not. Camping food isn't exactly the fanciest of foods, but this time around I was determined not to live off veggie dogs, canned spaghettio's, and marshmallows. And man, did I succeed! I'll share most of the recipes I did over the next few days. This one was surprisingly easy and delicious, but required some planning beforehand.

Campfire Baked Pasta


Ingredients



  • precooked noodles

  • chopped garlic

  • pesto

  • baby spinach

  • chopped tomatoes

  • goat cheese

  • salt & pepper

  • olive oil

  • tin foil


IMG_1846

Make It!



  1. Start your fire about a half hour before you want to cook over it. I read somewhere that if you can hold your hand over the fire for just 5 seconds, then your temperature is good.

  2. Rip off a rather large piece of tinfoil. In the middle of it place some noodles, a chopped tomato, handful of spinach, a dollop of pesto, some garlic, and as much goat cheese as you want. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil on top. Now wrap it up as best you can ( I had to add another piece of tinfoil around it).

  3. Place it over the grill of the pit and cook it for about a half hour, flipping it a few times. Take it off the grill and let it cool for a few minutes before you dig in.


IMG_1847 IMG_1854To make this easier on myself, I precooked a package of spaghetti noodles at home, tossed them in spicy olive oil and put them in a large ziploc bag in the cooler. I also bought a jar a minced garlic (by far the BEST thing we bought food wise for camping) and made a container of pesto at home. It was a bit of work before we left, but was totally worth it when we got there.


What do you like to make while camping?

1 comment:

  1. We bought a tent this year so we are planning to pitch it and I love that you gave me some ideas. Typically its the hotdogs, hamburgers, marshmallows, fresh fruit, and baked potatoes. You totally expanded my camping horizon! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...