Saturday, 20 July 2013

(Julia Child's) Quiche au Camembert

IMG_2094My cousin Cherise came over last night for dinner and Disney movies so I wanted to make something a little special and fancy for dinner. And when I think fancy, I think of my giant lug of a book Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child. I am rather ashamed to say that this is the first recipe I've cooked from it. Dave bought it for me last year and I have swooned over it ever since, but alas never took the plunge and created anything from it. Something about the way the recipes are written kind of intimidates me. (Have a look and you'll know what I'm talking about)

So I started with something easy; a quiche. Can we just pause and acknowledge the fact that quiches are totally under-rated? Because they are. They are so easy to make, you really don't even need a recipe. You can eat them hot, cold, or room temperature. They're awesome.

This quiche is more of a savory cheesecake. There are only 2 eggs in the entire thing, so it's not very eggy at all. It's creamy, light, perfect for a summer dinner!

Julia Child's Quiche au Camembert


Ingredients



  • 1/2 cup of diced Camembert cheese (don't peel of the papery outside!)

  • 1 brick of low fat cream cheese (trust me, you want the low fat with all the other stuff going in this thing)

  • 2 tbsp softened butter

  • 3 tbsp whipping cream/any cream really

  • 2 eggs

  • salt and pepper

  • 1/2 tbsp cayenne

  • 3-4 tbsp of chopped green onion tops

  • partially de-thawed pie shell (not the deep dish kind)


Make it


1) Preheat over to 375. Mix together cheeses, cream and butter with a mixer or fork until smooth. Add eggs, salt & pepper, cayenne and green onion and combine.

2) Pour into pie shell and bake for about 30 minutes until it's puffy and browned. Don't worry it it get really poofy, it'll fall back down once it cools.

We ate this with a salad, some crusty bread, and pink wine. Delicious!

IMG_2092

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...