Sunday, 9 February 2014

Cream Scones with "Clotted Cream"

IMG_5918 copyI find that I am really drawn to British things. The Secret Garden, Nigella Lawson, Downton Abbey, Jamie Oliver, tea time, rain, I Capture the Castle, country cottages, they all make me feel cozy and happy inside. And one thing I definitely associate with all things British is scones and tea. When Dave and I travelled to London last year we stopped at a really hokey touristy cream tea stall for tea and scones with jam and clotted cream (see below). Oh man so good!

266

Since then I've been dying to try making the whole shebang at home. Now the scones have taken a while to find the perfect recipe, but when I read into how to make clotted cream I was a little put off. Apparently it requires baking the cream for over 8 hours. Dang. As that one lady says "ain't nobody got time for that!" So I looked into other easier alternatives and came up with this, which is nowhere near real clotted cream, but when you make a pot of tea and some really good scones you've done enough already.

Cream Scones from here


Ingredients



  • 2 cups flour

  • ¼ cup sugar

  • 1 tablespoon baking powder

  • ½ teaspoon salt

  • 2 cups heavy cream/whipping cream

  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted

  • 1 tablespoon sugar


Make It!



  1. Preheat oven to 400

  2. Mix the dry ingredients (except the 1 tbsp sugar) in a bowl with a fork

  3. Add the cream and mix together, it will be very wet. Use your hands to knead it a few times

  4. Transfer dough on to a board and flatten it out into a round cake shape and cut it into 8 triangles. You could also roll the dough into balls and flatten slightly.

  5. Brush the scones with the melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining sugar

  6. Place them on some parchment paper and a tray and bake for about 17 minutes


IMG_5903 copy

IMG_5906 copyIMG_5916 copy

"Clotted Cream"


Oh man, I probably shouldn't even call this clotted cream. But whatever.

Ingredients



  • 1 cup whipping cream

  • 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt

  • 1 tbsp sugar


Make It



  1. Whip up the whipping cream and sugar until stiff

  2. Gently fold in the yogurt


The cream also tastes really good on fruit and cake too.

IMG_5913 copyThere you have it! A not very traditional but pretty good knock-off British cream tea party. Perfect for an afternoon or after work snack :)

2 comments:

  1. Your photos are absolutely adorable, and I am loving the tourist tea for two. Where in London did you find that gem? After living in the UK, I found that I became a little bit addicted to scones. So I'll definitely need to try this recipe out. Yum! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm totally jealous of you getting to live in the UK! We found that stall at the Camden (sp?) market :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...