Wednesday, 23 April 2014

(Amazing) Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter

In an attempt to try to keep myself sane as I wait around for this baby to show up, I've been trying to keep as busy as possible. Lately, my brother and I have been spending a lot of time during the day in my parents kitchen trying new recipes or cooking dinner for the family. The other day we decided to try our hands at making nut butters. 


Just a random side note, but isn't the word nut butter terrible? Ugh it makes me cringe every time I say it. It just sounds so unappetizing.

Anyway we decided to try a peanut based one (cheaper) and then a pecan based one (more expensive). If you have a Bulk Barn and a food processor you can easily whip up some of this stuff in 15 minutes tops. It's really easy. And ridiculously addictive. I almost wish it was harder to make.

(Amazing) Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter


Ingredients


  • honey roasted peanuts
  • chocolate chips


I didn't measure anything because it really comes down to how much you wanna make and how chocolately you want it. We probably used about 3-4 cups of peanuts (around $4 at Bulk Barn) and 1 cup of chocolate chips.   

Make It!

1. Get out your food processor. It doesn't have to be a fancy one I found. In fact my mum has a restaurant quality processor that crapped out on us while we made this and we had to use her old back-up one instead and it worked better. Figures! Also, sorry Mum.

2. Pour your nuts in and process. At first it will be REALLY loud. Then it will just look like ground nuts, then a few minutes later it will start to clump in large balls and you'll start thinking, there ain't no way this is gonna work! Then keep going a few more minutes and it will magically turn into a liquid.

3. Now you could stop here and have delicious homemade honey roasted peanut butter. Or while the processor is still running you can start adding your chocolate chips, handful by handful until it reaches your desired chocolate level. I liked mine really chocolately, but you could always add less if you want the peanut flavour to be the main star.



You can either leave this at room temperature if you plan on eating it within the week, or if you want a thicker consistency, you can keep it in the fridge (this does harden it quite a bit though).

I guess I should at least comment on the (failed) pecan one. We processed the crap out of the pecans (with some maple syrup, ground ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg) but the sucker just wouldn't liquify. It comes out spreadable, and tastes amazing, but it doesn't have the right texture. Plus the pecans were about $10 for 3 cups. Bummer.



Now I love me some Nutella (see here) but I think I may like this better. And it's way cheaper and probably better for you. At least that's what I'm gonna tell myself.

What do you think, would you try out some homemade (cringe) nut butter?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...