Thursday, 23 October 2014

Cake # 3 (Yellow Roses)


Dave's school was having a cake drive this week so I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to try out a new decorating technique. I figure kids don't care if something is iced in chocolate ganache with a salted caramel filling. They want PIZAZE! They want COLOUR! So I got out my collection of decorating tips and decided to try out some buttercream roses. Every tutorial ensured me that they were very very simple to do and I can now say, yes! They are simple! 


I just used a vanilla cake mix and added some turquoise food colouring to the batter to make 2 round pans. When they were cooled, I sawed off the domed tops with a bread knife to make them more flat to ice.  One thing I've learned when icing a cake is to do a "crumb coat". Basically you ice the cake in a thin (and kinda messy) layer to seal in all the crumbs. Then you pop the cake in the fridge so it hardens a bit, then go ahead and frost it. You'd be surprised how big of a difference this makes! 

I had a few vintage plastic ballerinas lying around so I added one on top to make it even more girly ;) 

I was really quite surprised at how easy this was, and how great it makes a simple cake look! I will definitely be using this technique again in the future! 

Notes:
I used this icing recipe but added 1/2 cup butter. 
I followed this tutorial for making the roses. 
I used a 1M decorating tip for the roses (bought at bulk barn)

Happy baking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...