MAN! Let me start off by saying this whole project took a long time. Collecting/making the photos/art/prints, finding the frames, painting the frames and hanging it all took about a month. But I think I can now say, it was totally worth it! In total (frames, candle sticks, and prints) the entire wall cost me about $40.
If you're interested in how I did it from start to finish, here was my process.
1) Figure out what you want to hang. For me I knew right away I wanted to incorporate a nun in there somehow so I blew up a large photo of a jovial nun dancing with 2 little boys (more on that later), I also blew up a photo of Dave and Iris, so between those 2 I had 2 large pieces. Next I had some instax photos, a photo booth photo of my mum when she was a teenager, some vintage valentines from the 40's from my MIL, a water colour portrait of the family, and a few printed photos.
2) Get frames. Lots of them. I thrifted all of my frames, looking for ones that had large white mats already in them that were framed in wood or something I could spray paint black. Don't pay more than $10 tops for a large frame, as every thrift store sells them and you can probably get it cheaper somewhere else.
3) Arrange it on the floor first. Once I had everything in a frame I spent some time laying it out on the floor how I wanted it and then took a photo.
4) Trace each frame on paper and then tape those to the wall. This step took foreveeeeeeer, but I think it made a big difference. One thing I made sure to do was label each "frame" so I would remember which was what.
5) Add the nails! I would just flip the frames over to see where the nail would hang and then eyeballed it on the paper "frames". After I nailed them in, I ripped the paper off and replaced it with the real frame. (I did this last night, hence the photo quality)
I'm pretty pumped with how this turned out! I'll be back tomorrow with how I got some of my larger prints done for CRAZY CHEAP!