Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Lavender Sugar


Recently I've been really curious about lavender in food. Have you ever tried lavender flavoured things? It really does taste like you're eating flowers, but in a good way.  I thought it would be really expensive to buy some but I ended up finding some organic dried lavender buds at a local health food store for pretty cheap. I think I spent under $3 for about 1/3 of a cup. Not bad right?

Then I had to figure out what to make with it. I mean you can't just throw lavender into your stir-fry or coffee all willy nilly, this stuff is potent and let's be honest a little bit weird. I thought macarons would be a good place to start, so I whipped up a batch of lavender honey and mascarpone ones. Which were great! But holy time consuming.

Anyway I had some lavender leftover and thought I'd try making some lavender sugar, super easy! The proportions I used were 3 cups of sugar to 1 tbsp lavender. To make it I crushed the buds with a bit of sugar in my morter and pestle until it was dusty then stirred it into the 3 cups of sugar. I just put mine in a large jar, but you could use anything that seals tightly. Now the recipe I used says to let it sit in a dark cool place for a week before you use it so I can't really comment on what this tastes like yet. But here are a few ideas of how you can use it:
  • Lavender ice tea (!!) 
  • Substitute it for sugar in a vanilla cake 
  • Add a bit to sweeten whipped cream
  • Press it into the tops of sugar cookies before you bake them
  • Make a lavender black tea latte
  • Sprinkle over fruit (this may be weird)


On the topic of flavoured sugars, if you have a leftover vanilla bean pod, throw that into a jar with some sugar and it makes the most amazing sugar for teas and coffee!

Notes:
I found my lavender at Healthy Foods and More in Waterloo.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...