Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Cheat's Salted Caramel Cake (#17)



Many people think because I bake like a fiend that I look down upon cake mixes. Um, this is so so not true. I LOVE cake mixes! Do you think all of these cakes are from scratch?! Ha! My secret is to think of the cake mix as a base and then fancy it up. Take this cake for example. I knew I was going to be donating it to Dave's work for a fun fair and didn't want to spend a lot of money on ingredients (you can say it: I'm cheap!) so I took a vanilla cake mix, baked it, and made some fancy icing. For the frosting I made some classic vanilla buttercream and stirred some homemade salted caramel into it. To make it look even fancier I piped the frosting on and drizzled some more caramel on top. And this my friends is a classic example of a cheat's cake!


Notes: 
  • I swear by this video for homemade salted caramel 
  • I've figured out after many years that the key to amazing buttercream is to beat the butter for at least 5 minutes (set a timer, it's way longer than you think) before you add the icing sugar. The butter should be supper fluffy and white before you even think about adding the sugar in

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...