Thursday, 12 November 2015

Iris & Art


Lately Iris has been more into art and I love it! I was a super crafty kid, I even had a small room in the house where my mum would stock it with things from the recycling, markers, glue and a seemingly endless supply of White Rose materials. Heaven! When I'm trying to get dinner ready, or I just need Iris to stay in one spot for a bit I'll plop her in her chair at the table and put some paper and writing utensils in front of her. When she gets bored of that I'll give her some puffy stickers (I find those are a lot easier for her to get off the sheet than regular stickers). And if she gets bored of that and I'm still desperate for toddler containment, I'll offer up the coveted markers as a last resort. Man, do little kids love markers! Have I mentioned my entire house has white walls?!

I think I've said this before, but I bought Iris her own big hardcover sketchbook from Micheals ($7 with a coupon!) that she can doodle and create in. Right now she mostly just scribbles in it, or will meticulously put all her puffy stickers on one page and then rip them all off. Sometimes I'll just leave it open on the coffee table with a pencil beside it and she'll come over and doodle throughout the day. 

Personally, I think it's really important to display kid's art around the house. It gives them a sense of pride to see their creations on the wall, it shows them that we value art and creativity, plus it looks great in her room! Like I said before, our whole house is white so having a bunch of colour stuck on the walls is great. We just use washi tape to stick it on the wall and try to keep it just above where she can reach it since she loves ripping it off the wall or taking the stickers off again. 


I'm not really sure if I'll keep a lot, if any of her art as we change it up. Is that a bad parent thing? I don't know, my mum kept a lot of my kid art and although it was fun to look through once as an adult, I didn't have much use for it after that. Maybe taking photos of it is enough? Who knows!

1 comment:

  1. Try the dollar store for supplies, I always check there first and I've found some pretty good scores, sketchbooks, stickers, glitter glue, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...