Wednesday, 21 November 2012

Adventures in Soup

So tonight I made tomato soup (from scratch!) while waiting for Manny to come over for craft night. My friend Laura got me into making soups last year when literally, every time she came to visit we made some sort of soup and watched Pride and Prejudice. We have a deep dark love for Coin Firth as Mr.Darcy. Especially when he is in a bathtub.


(case in point: see above)


Anyway back to soup. It tastes pretty awesome. Except not as tomato-y as I'd hoped. But a good soup never the less! Here's the recipe I used. Adapted from this one.

Tomato-ish Soup

Ingredients:
1 28-ounce can of chopped tomatoes

1/4 cup olive oil

salt & ground pepper to taste

2 stalks celery, diced

2 small carrots, diced

1 large yellow onion, diced

6 cloves garlic, minced

2-3 cups chicken broth or whatever kind of broth you have

2 bay leaves

1/2 cup chopped basil

1/4 cup cream or milk

1/4 cup red wine

1 tbsp siraccha

(Here's a picture of what it's supposed to look like...)



1) Drain your tomatoes but keep the juice in a bowl and set aside. Place tomatoes on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 15-20 minutes in a 450 oven.

2) Add olive oil to a big pot with your celery, onions, garlic and carrots. Cook for about 10 minutes until soft.

3) Add roasted tomatoes, reserved juice, chicken broth, siraccha and red wine. Simmer for at least 20 minutes.

4) Add basil and cream, puree with an immersion blender.

Here's what mine actually looked like...



I added a glass of orange juice to up the ante. 


I like to simmer my soup for a little longer to develop the flavours a bit more, but feel free to eat it right away. Next time I think I'd add another can of tomatoes to make it a legit tomato soup.

Now go eat some soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...