Thursday, 3 January 2013

DIY Tile Coasters

Coasters. I always thought they were a symbol of you being rather old and somewhat of a fuddy duddy. I mean remember when you were younger and your parents yelled at you not to put the glass on the coffee table that it was gonna ruin the table, so put it on a coaster? And you thought to yourself, uh, it's a table, it's meant to have glasses on it? At least that's what my brother and I would always grudging say to each other as we pulled out the coasters. So I guess it's rather surprising that I spent an entire afternoon making not one but TWO sets of coasters. Yeah.

Here's what you need:

IMG_1270I found the tiles for $0.25 at Rona (deal!) so I went a tad overboard and bought 8. Not that I would ever really need 8 coasters in our apartment at once. Also, I forgot to buy a sealer when I frst made them so that's not pictured. But very important! So buy one! (I found mine in the spray paint section of Home Depot, it's just a clear spray sealer)

IMG_1274IMG_1275IMG_1287

So once you have all of your materials you need to trace your tile on to the paper you want, but take it in about a centimeter or two so you'll have a bit of the tile as a border. Next you put a layer of Mod Podge on the tile and stick your piece of paper to it. Let it dry. Then brush a layer of Mod Podge over the paper and tile. Let it dry. I repeated this about 2-3 times. Once you're tiles have completely dried, take them outside and spray the tops with the clear sealer. Let dry. Then cut a piece of felt and glue it to the back of the tile. And presto! You have fancy, hip, cool coasters!

IMG_1290I should really point out that the point of having coasters and using them, is to protect your really nice table. I, on the other hand, have a cheap IKEA coffee table that no one in their right mind would ever give a thought to protecting. And yet now Dave gets me to put everything on a coaster, from the tea pot to my bowl of soup. Well, at least all 8 getting used!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I just happened upon your blog. These coasters are awesome! I especially adore the Big Ben stamp you used. I've been trying to be more crafty lately. Perhaps this will be my next project...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being more crafty was my new years resolution last year :) I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I will grab some material later so that i can try making this with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...