Monday, 25 March 2013

DIY Pillowcase to Top

pillowshirt

Here's an easy sewing project I did the other day. I found the retro pillowcase at Goodwill for $1 and at the time wasn't sure what I would do with it. Later I found this tutorial and decided to give it a go. As I've said before I am by no means a sewing expert. BUT I do have a few tips/things I did differently than the tutorial that may help you out if you're as clueless as I am with a sewing machine.

IMG_1755

1) I have read countless times in tutorials to serge the raw edges of your fabric before you sew, as this will prevent fraying. Well I don't have a serger so I just used a zigzag stitch along the edges instead. It took a while but is (probably) worth it.

2) The tutorial makes a really simple boxy shirt. Which is great if you're super thin, but on me, it just looked, well, boxy. So after I had "finished" it, I flipped it inside out, placed a form fitting shirt I already had over top, traced the sides, and sewed it. Then it fit a little better in the sides.

I'm pretty pumped at how this turned out. Sure if you look closely you could probably guess it's homemade, but for a buck you can't go wrong!

2 comments:

  1. It's "sew" cute Nat!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome Nat! Very pretty. Good idea with the tapering at the sides. Looking good baby!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...