Friday, 4 October 2013

Brown Butter & Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies

IMG_5204I can't believe I'm posting this recipe. I debated not posting it. It's not because they aren't good, they're actually amazing. Perhaps, dare I say it, they may be the best chocolate chip cookie I've ever eaten. And you know, sometimes I like to keep a few recipes a secret, hoard all the glory for myself. But pregnancy hormones have put me in an emotional and giving mood, so here it is.

Brown Butter & Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies slightly adapted from here


I still can't believe I'm sharing this...

Ingredients



  • 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt

  • 1 cup unsalted butter

  • 1 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar

  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar

  • 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

  • 1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt (I've used vanilla yogurt before and didn't notice a difference)

  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

  • 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips

  • Coarse sea salt for sprinkling


Make It


1) Mix together dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking soda and set aside.

2) Now you're gonna make some brown butter. This is what makes the cookie. But it can get a bit dicey if you don't watch it, so read this first. Once you've browned the butter, set it aside for a few minutes to cool.

3) Mix sugars and butter, then add eggs, vanilla, and yogurt. Then slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until it just comes together. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.

4) Chill the dough for 2 hours in the fridge. Kinda a pain, but you can snack on cookie dough while you wait.

5) Preheat the oven to 350.  Roll out your dough into big or small balls and then squish them slightly on a greased cookie sheet. I personally like big cookies so I use about a 1/4 cup of dough per cookie. Whoa, that now seems like a lot when I write it down. Sprinkle a little bit of sea salt on top of each cookie and press down into the dough. You could always skip this if you don't like the salt on baked good craze.

6) For big cookies bake for about 9 minutes, for small cookies bake them for about 6-7 minutes. Take them out and let cool.

IMG_5201IMG_5206

Tips for cookies (aka things my mum taught me)



  • use the paddle attachment if you have it, there's less of a chance you'll over mix the dough with it.

  • always under-bake your cookies by a minute or so. When they come out of the oven they should be lightly browned on the edges but would break apart if you tried to pick them up. Just leave them on the pan for a few minutes before you transfer them to a cooling rack, they'll continue to bake a bit. This way you'll have soft-ish cookies once they've cooled.


These cookies (or rather brown butter) will change your life. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...