Flourless Chocolate Cake from here
- 1 1/4 cups chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 eggs, separated
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp ground almonds (also called almond meal)
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter. Remove from heat and let it cool a bit.
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 inch springform pan.
- In a stand mixer (with the whisk attachment) whip the egg whites and salt until they become thick and frothy. Gradually add the sugar to the egg whites and continue whipping just until stiff peaks form. Transfer the mixture to another bowl.
- Wipe the bowl clean and then add the egg yolks and vanilla. Whip it until pale, about 5 minutes.
- Fold the ground almonds into the yolk mixture . Then fold in the cooled chocolate mixture and about 1/4 of the egg white mixture.
- Fold in the rest of the egg whites in two batches.
- Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top gently.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. The cake will "fall" as it cools.
Once it was cooled I sprinkled some icing sugar on top and ate it with raspberry jam and blueberries. Delicious! I admit, this is a somewhat finicky cake to make, but if you're craving something really fancy and don't want to spend $30 at a bakery, then this is the way to go.