Wednesday, 17 December 2014

DIY Winter Crown


I've been wanting to make one of these for ages! I've been eyeing large faux flower crowns for awhile now and thought I'd try my hand at making one for my darling pen pal Frankie. She seems like the kind of person who could pull off a flower crown :) Anyway I intended to make a neutral coloured flower one when I set off to the flower section of Dollarama but alas it was filled with Christmasy things instead! So I changed gears and went with a winter foresty feel, which I think I like better than my original plan actually. 



It was pretty easy to make, you'll need a few things though:

  • a wire based small garland for the base of the crown (I used a brown and gold one that came coiled up in a ring)
  • flowers and things to decorate the crown (I used green leaves with "snow", wired holly, and pussy willows)
  • green floral tape 
  • wire cutters 
To make it I just uncoiled my small garland and shaped it into the right size to fit on my head, then using floral tape, secured it's shape in a few places. Then it's just a matter of cutting and wrapping/taping your foliage on to the garland. A lot of the things I used had wire bases so I just wrapped them around the garland and then wrapped some floral tape around it to make sure it stayed put. 

One tip, don't use your fancy scissors to cut fake flowers like I did (I can almost hear my MIL groaning in disappointment as she reads this). Fake flowers have wires in them, so use wire cutters! 


I debated keeping this for myself as it's so pretty, but I think Frankie will love it too :) Wouldn't this be pretty to wear to a holiday party?

As a side note, I'm taking a holiday break from blogging for the next 2 weeks to enjoy the holidays. Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...