Tuesday, 12 May 2015

Iris' Birthday Cake (Cake #15)


So I had debated making a traditional tiny cake for Iris for her birthday but then decided to try something new and perhaps a bit odd. When I came across this post I knew this was the cake I was going to make: Chocolate Olive Oil Cake with Candied Smoked Bacon. I love this cake because it was relatively simple to make; it's just a loaf cake cut in half. And CANDIED SMOKED BACON. My cousin gave me some candied bacon the other week and it was so good. I was instantly addicted.

If you're never going to make this cake, at least make the candied bacon. My dad had bought some thick cut smoked bacon from the market especially for this. You just cook up you bacon until it's almost done, sprinkle some brown sugar on each side, letting it caramelize for a minute or two before flipping. Then let it sit and harden a bit on a piece of parchment paper before eating it. I confess I made candy out of the entire package of bacon. 


This was a hit! I was worried it wouldn't be able to feed 9 people but it was more than enough. And yes, Iris loved it! Although it may have been because she was too distracted to eat at dinner and was starving by dessert time ;)

5 left!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...